Acid reflux, more commonly referred to as heartburn, affects millions of Americans every day. Although certain lifestyle and risk factors are common among heartburn sufferers, anyone can experience this painful burning sensation in the chest. In addition, acid reflux can also cause other symptoms, including sinus issues and chronic cough. Popular heartburn medications such as Prilosec, Nexium, and Prevacid work for many people, but they are increasingly linked to harmful side effects. Contact a nationwide drug injury lawyer today.
In response to harmful side effects associated with acid reflux medications, and the fact that some patients actually require surgery to remedy their symptoms, the topic of natural treatments has been coming up more and more lately. The reality is, an occasional dose of Prevacid or a similar medication for heartburn symptoms is unlikely to cause serious side effects. However, chronic sufferers who pop these pills daily have a substantially increased risk of developing long-term health complications as a result.
Common Side Effects Linked To Prolonged Use Of Prilosec, Nexium, & Prevacid
- Increased risk of infections, including bacterial colitis and pneumonia
- Poor absorption of vitamins and minerals
- Iron deficiency
- Irregular heartbeat
Ask Your Doctor About The Natural Remedies Below
The following alternative treatment options work for some people. Before you start popping pills, try these natural remedies to determine if they work for you. You can also minimize the effects of acid reflux by adjusting your diet (healthy, non-spicy foods), avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol, avoiding restrictive waistbands, and elevating your head when you go to sleep at night.
- Baking soda: With a pH higher than 7.0, baking soda neutralizes stomach acid. A ½ tsp mixed thoroughly in a glass of water should do the trick.
- Ginger tea: An antiviral and antibacterial beverage, ginger tea also calms the stomach and digestive system.
- D-limonene: An orange peel extract, D-limonene is available at most health food stores. In studies, D-limonene has been extremely successful at completely relieving heartburn symptoms.
- Mint leaves: This cooling, refreshing beverage soothes the digestive system and stomach inflammation. Mint also stimulates the glands that secrete digestive enzymes.
- Aloe-vera juice: This beverage soothes the digestive system and should be drunk about 30 minutes before a meal.
- Chamomile tea: A popular remedy for digestive problems, stomach inflammation, and stress, chamomile tea can help soothe your stomach and help you fall asleep.
- Almonds: Chewing a handful of almonds in the evening may help counteract symptoms of acid reflux.
The Goldwater Law Firm – Nationwide Drug Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been harmed due to a dangerous or defective medication, the drug injury team at the Goldwater Law Firm can help. Our skilled defective drug attorneys have extensive experience fighting pharmaceutical companies, and we have an impressive track record of obtaining compensation for our clients. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your damages. If you’ve been injured, contact the Goldwater Law Firm today for a free and confidential consultation about your case.