IVC Filter LAWYERS
If you have a Blood Clot filter and have suffered heart damage, lung damage, or internal bleeding, call the Goldwater Law Firm.
CALL US ANYTIME, DAY OR NIGHT
IVC Filter Lawsuits
Have you been injured because of an inferior vena cava filter? If so, you’re not alone. You may be entitled to fight for compensation in court with an IVC filter lawyer if you have been hurt. Read on to learn more about the dangers of these filters and what you should do if you have been impacted.
Basics of IVC Filters
An IVC filter is a wire device designed to catch blood clots before they make their way into the lungs. Implanted into the biggest vein in the body, they pose a risk if temporary filters are not removed. A patient with temporary filters might experience perforation of internal orders, migration, or fractures associated with the breakdown of this filter.
More than 100,000 IVC filters have been implanted into patients since the 1960’s. These devices were never intended to be a permanent solution, which is why manufacturers created them to be removed down the line after the danger for pulmonary embolism or blood clots had passed. However, one manufacturer in particular originally petitioned for the device to be a permanent solution. That manufacturer was Bard. Since 2005, the FDA has received more than 900 adverse event reports linked to IVC filters.
Concerns Raised about IVC Filters
Although these filters are supposed to protect patients from serious blood clots, the device can actually endanger the life of a patient when it does not work properly. According to recent studies, IVC filters like the Bard Recovery Filter, the Bard G2 Express filter, and the Bard G2 filter have been shown to break down into shards and harm patients.
- A study completed at York Hospital revealed that up to 25 percent of a patient group with the filter experienced splinters breaking off. Most of these splinters traveled to the heart, lungs, or even the hepatic vein.
- Another study completed by the New England Society for Vascular Surgery found a 31 percent fracture rate for IVC filters. The majority of splinters captured in this research study migrated to the right ventricles in the heart.
- A 2015 study from the Journal of the American Medical Association reports that there are “no benefits” offered by an IVC filter when it comes to reducing mortality risk or recurrence associated with pulmonary embolism.
IVC Filter Complications
The following is a brief list of some of the complications you might experience after an IVC filter has been implanted. If these describe your current situation, hire an IVC filter lawyer to represent your interests in court.
- Filter parts may break off, traveling through the bloodstream to cause heart and lung damage
- The filter could move position, causing damage to internal organs
- The filter could become clogged with blood clots, preventing the flow of blood from the lower body to the heart
- The filter could erode into the vein
- A doctor might be unable to remove an IVC filter that is now stuck
- Tilting of the filter
- Migration of the parts causing stroke or death
- Heart damage and internal bleeding
FDA Response to Dangerous IVC Filters
In 2010, the FDA sent an advisory for physicians encouraging removal of the device after the risk for blood clots had passed. This advisory was issued again in 2014 as a result of increased numbers of adverse events.
Despite the fact that the FDA never approved one of Bard’s models (The Recovery Cone Removal System), Bard is alleged to have sold this device anyways without informing doctors of the fact that it was not cleared by the FDA. Bard has also been found to have established inadequate testing processes for these filters. In 2015, the FDA issued a warning letter to the company for eight separate federal law violations linked to the filter product line.
What to Do If You’ve Suffered Injuries From an IVC Filter
The Goldwater Law Firm has experience helping victims of IVC filters learn about filing and move forward with personal injury suits. If you have been hurt, it is in your best interests to contact our offices today for a consultation. Before your injuries get any worse, get the advice you need from an experienced attorney.
Choose a legal team who understands how this issue has affected your life and who will fight hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Don’t wait to get legal help! The statute of limitations means that you have a limited amount of time to file a claim so you must file a claim as soon as possible. If you wait too long, your case could be dismissed. Get the help you need today by contacting an experienced IVC filter attorney.
If you or a loved one is paying the price for an IVC filter breaking down, you have a right to share your story. Contact one of the knowledgeable attorneys at the Goldwater Law Firm today for a consultation.